Wednesday, August 6, 2014

View of the old canal - Battle Island & Fulton



Battle Island & Fulton


Traveling south from Minetto and Lock 5 along the Oswego River I pass Battle Island.  I keep to the left in the river to go around the island, as recommended, and have no problems, however I think that if I had passed to the right I would have been ok as well.  I pass big homes and estates interspersed with smaller, older homes, reminiscent of life gone by on the island.  Looking left and right there is evidence of the old canal.
Evidence of the Old Erie Canal
As I continue traveling south, the homes become smaller and the river becomes more rural.   By the time I get closer to Fulton I notice the houses remain in the earlier 20th century style of home, built during the
hay-days of the canal when commerce was flourishing and people made their livings from use of the canal and towns such as Fulton prospered.  Fulton is a typical riverside town with small businesses of a community living alongside the river. 
As I approach Lock 3, I do have to be careful of the spillway because it will push me around.
Right after exiting Oswego Lock 3 (no, I didn`t skip Lock 4, there isn`t one for some reason), I come to Fulton. On the east side of the canal is a small harbour carved out of the canal wall, with very little room to
manouvre. There are quite a number of finger docks all with power and water, if I were to go back, I wouldn’t try the fingers because there is not enough room to manouvre larger boat, say anything over 27 ft.  There is room on the wall at the entrance to this harbour for about two larger boats.  The wall would have been the better choice to park for a short visit.

The town square, just up the steps from the docks, is nicely done, with flowers and wide interlock stone pathways for strolling.  From this pathway I easily access the shopping district, with the availability of some groceries and other necessities.  Every Saturday during the summer, in the parking lot, there is a small farmers’ market, with fresh produce, baked goods, flowers and other items like hand made candles and soap to purchase.  While the booth owners are friendly, the residents don’t seem to be as accomodating to strangers and less than enthused about seeing dogs on leashes (and thoroughly well-behaved) in the market area.

Once again on my way and approaching Oswego Lock 2 the riverside houses become larger and more luxurious.  The grounds surrounding them (they are too big to be called yards) are as neatly tended as golf courses.
 







© Simon Geller 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment